Monday, September 14, 2009

Kate's in the Real World Again

After being unemployed for about a month in May, I decided to join a gym as a sort of early birthday present to myself. I think it's one of the best "real world" purchases I've ever made. I've been working out pretty regularly, usually 3 times a week, since then. I never used to feel so committed to exercise, but after doing so regularly for several months, (starting when I still worked at Troutman and used that building's gym 3 or 4 times a week), I feel like a slob when I've gone too long without exercise. I had a personal training session at the gym today, and my legs currently despise me as a result, but I look forward to doing some of the exercises on my own.

I've also been to two Flying Trapeze Classes (http://washingtondc.trapezeschool.com/about/index.php), one in July and one on Sunday. It's not something I would ever have thought that I would do, but it is so much fun! Flying through the air (connected to a harness with a net below you) and doing a "trick" is pretty thrilling. I'm looking forward to going again. Maybe I'll figure out how to post pictures on here, otherwise they'll eventually be on facebook.

I began working again a little over a month ago, a litigation paralegal job that I obtained through a temp agency. Currently it's a temporary position. It is really nice to have a routine again - something to do every day - as well as having a paycheck. The job does require a car because it's in Rockville, MD, and if I take public transportation it takes me about 1.5 hours to get there using a bus, 2 metro lines, and another bus. I'm borrowing my dad's car for the time being, which is great, but if I decide to keep the job, I'll probably eventually have to get my own car. Right now, the cons are outweighing the pros regarding car ownership.

I'm really excited for fall - I'm still in love with the beautiful and vibrant range of colors that we have in Virginia. They are especially striking in comparison to Chicago/Evanston's mostly yellow-leaved fall. Pumpkins, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin bread, apple cider, crisp cool weather, beautiful blue skies...maybe it's my favorite season.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go. You inspired me to 1) go to the pool at 830pm and 2) start writing in mine again... Too bad I have a long post, so its not up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I'm glad I accomplished so much with that post!

    ReplyDelete