Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Job Contemplations

One thing I've learned about myself at my current job and past jobs is that I thrive when I have a variety of responsibilities. The more diverse my job description, the happier I am. I've also learned that I actually enjoy speaking with clients on the phone, and feeling like (a) I'm able and qualified to help them, and (b) they value and appreciate what I have to say. Accidentally getting into the consulting field has turned out to be a possible career path. I like doing research when I know it will help a client complete a particular project, especially when I have the opportunity to discuss it with them and maybe even witness or participate in a grant proposal as a result.

I've always hated sort of useless busy work, that's repetitive, and that isn't valued. So, being able to do work that real people out there see and use is pretty amazing.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have a job you're happy at now! I know what you mean by liking a variety of responsibilities. The only time I hate my job is when I'm working for weeks on end on the same exact thing. Which has been the last couple months... But it's starting to turn around and I'm working on a bunch of new stuff now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it really makes a difference. Regardless of the task, pretty much, if that's all you're doing every day...no good.

    ReplyDelete