Monday, June 3, 2013

When work is rewarding

Looking through this admittedly sparsely populated blog, I came across a post I wrote in 2010 evaluating what I like and dislike in a job. Namely, I liked being responsible for a variety of tasks, as well as being able to provide clients with real, influential advice based on research, experience, and/or industry knowledge. I also noted my dislike for "useless busy work" that no one cares about and that accomplishes nothing.

Almost three years after writing this, as I again consider what I want in a job, my earlier insights about what I find rewarding in a job still hold true.  I've gained more consulting experience and worked with a wider variety of clients and organizations, I know more specifically the type of consulting work I like to do - and it still entails having a variety of different types of tasks to complete in a given day or week, helping address various types of client challenges. 

As long as I know that my work is being valued and having an impact, I know I'm doing good work. Conversely, when that shifts to being more repetitive tasks, more excel formatting than original thought generation, the work product is far less meaningful and rewarding. 

There is a lot to be said for creativity, be it through artistic expression or analyzing a new topic. The greater the ability to think outside the box, the more we are able to grow and evolve within our jobs, and the more inspired we are to do so.  We spend the majority of our days and weeks at our places of employment. The more mentally stimulated we are, the more enjoyable the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment