Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tae Kwon Do

I did tae kwon do fairly religiously while at Northwestern. For the first two years, I rarely missed class and tested for a new belt (rank) at the end of each quarter. As I got busier, I didn't go quite as regularly, but I was still an active member in the club, and it was a huge part of my life at Northwestern. I really loved it. It was a fun and somewhat untraditional form of exercise, and having the 1.5 hours of class time twice a week dedicated to it was also a great mental break from class work.

I hadn't done TKD since graduation in June '08 until I took a TKD class at GWU last night. It was amazing - I can't believe how much I have missed it. Everything was familiar, from the order of activities of the class down to the old, unairconditioned gym in which classes were held. The blocks, the stances, the kicks, and how the master taught and led the class were all familiar, as is the soreness I feel today in my shoulders and calves from doing things I haven't done in two years. It was great to be back, though, and I look forward to going to more classes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment